Class 5. Decorative Underglaze Surfaces for Slab Jewelry
Click the orange button below to see the materials and supplies list and other important information regarding the class.
Click/Tap the orange bar below to view details about this class.
Class Cost: $75
What you’ll get in your digital class kit:
- Preferred brushes sheet
- Preferred sgraffito tools sheet
- Preferred underglaze and glaze sheet
- Simple leaf design
- Terri Kern Underglaze Painting, Monthly Methods Page, Ceramics Monthly
Video and Live Demonstrations Include:
- Idea and design options
- Preparing bone dry jewelry pieces for underglaze
- Painting jewelry pieces with several layers of underglaze
- Design transfer with tracing paper
- Underglaze painting set-up
- Brush wrapping
- Know your detail brush possibilities and exercises
- Painting in color blocked areas
- Blending underglaze color
- Painting a black outline with underglaze and a detail brush
- Painting shading lines
- Creating wet black sgraffito
What participants need to have for class:
- Black underglaze
- Preferred underglaze colors
- Preferred brushes including:
- Brush for large areas of underglaze coverage
- Medium pointed brushes
- Small pointed brushes
- Script or Liner brush for painting outlines
- Preferred sgraffito tools
- Smart Water” bottle cap
- Scotch tape
- Pencil & Paper for notes or drawings for reference
- Photos for reference
- Tracing paper
STEPS NEEDED TO PREPARE FOR CLASS:
- Watch the pre-recorded videos.
Consider your design first.
- Look at your shapes and think about simple designs that will fit within the surface area.
- Create your designs using simple shapes like leaves, the moon, etc. Can’t draw? Take photos of simple shapes you want to use for designs and lay a piece of tracing paper over the top to trace the silhouette of the shape.
- Decide what underglaze color you want your background to be.
- Gently wipe down your bone dry jewelry pieces with a sponge to remove any dirt, dust or rough areas on the front and back.
- After letting your pieces dry thoroughly, apply your first layer of underglaze with a brush.
- After letting your pieces dry thoroughly, apply your second layer of underglaze with a brush.
- After letting your pieces dry thoroughly, apply your third layer of underglaze with a brush.
- After letting your pieces dry thoroughly, apply your blend layer using 2 underglaze colors with a couple brushes.
- Let your pieces dry at least 24 hours before class.
Finalize your designs
- Create a sheet with your designs on them.
- Cut your tracing paper into small sections and using a sharp pencil, place your tracing paper over your design and trace it.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you will be ready for class!
Class Cost: $75
This Class Includes
Access to group. forum, exclusive offers, schedule time with terri.