Class 2. Embellishing Birds with Underglaze
Class Cost: $112.50 (This reflects a 10% discount off the cost of the live Zoom class which costs $125.)
- 8 Digital downloadable documents
- 15 Instructional videos at approximately 2 hour, 14 minutes
- Class Recording (including Q & A session) at approximately 2 hour, 39 minutes
Skill Level: A basic understanding of ceramics is necessary.
Have you ever wondered how I create the intricate surfaces on my pieces with underglaze? In this class, I will share my approach to underglaze surface decoration including how I think about design segmenting, color blocking, blending underglaze, my wet sgraffito technique and how I paint fine lines to create the detail and design on the surfaces of my sculptural birds. In this introductory class, I recommend starting with a simple design on your bird so that you have the time to learn the basic techniques.
If you didn’t take my Handbuilding Stylized Bird class prior to this one, you can substitute your own small sculptural piece. Bone dry clay is preferred for the class as it will allow your piece to dry faster after each underglaze application.
Click the orange button below to see the materials and supplies list and other important information regarding the class.
Click/Tap the orange bar below to view details about this class.
This class consists of two parts:
The first part includes 15 instructional videos that will help you prepare your piece for the live class recording. They focus on the following subjects: my preference for working with bone dry clay, thinking about color and how it relates to your design, preparing the surface of the bird for underglaze painting, painting the first few coats of underglaze on the surface of the bird, creating designs and stencils for the bird, design transfer and color blocking.
The second part is the class recording and Q & A session which is dedicated to exploring the detail you’ll be creating on the surface of your bird. We create small blended areas of color, outline them with black underglaze using a fine line brush and discuss how to create a finished look for your sculptural piece.
What you’ll get in your digital class kit:
- Preferred brushes sheet
- Preferred sgraffito tools sheet
- Preferred underglaze and glaze sheet
- Bird reference sheet, basic design principles pages
- Terri Kern Underglaze Painting, Monthly Methods sheet, Ceramics Monthly
Video and Pre-Recorded Demonstrations Include:
- Preparing bone dry sculpture for underglaze
- Design options
- Breaking design down into color blocking
- Painting piece with several layers of underglaze
- Creating design templates
- Design transfer with tracing paper
- Underglaze painting set-up
- Brush wrapping
- Know your detail brush possibilities
- Painting in color blocked areas
- Blending underglaze color
- Creating a black outline with underglaze and a detail brush
- Creating shading lines
- Creating wet black sgraffito
What participants need to have for class:
- Preferred black underglaze
- Preferred underglaze colors
- 1 Large brush for painting larger areas of underglaze coverage
- Several medium sized pointed brushes
- Several small pointed brushes
- Script or Liner brush for painting outlines
- Preferred sgraffito tools
- Bottle cap from a bottle of “Smart Water”
- Scotch tape
- Pencil & paper for notes or drawings for reference
- Photos of birds for reference
- Scissors or X Acto knife to cut out design templates
- Manilla folder or piece of cover stock paper for your bird design templates
- Tracing paper
Please watch videos 1-14 prior to the class recording. These videos illustrate the steps you will need to take in order to be ready for the information that is presented in the class recording:
Class Cost: $112.50 (This price reflects a 10% discount off the cost of the Zoom class of $125 because there is no “live” component.)
Refund Policy: Once you place your order you have instant access to the video content. Therefore there are no refunds available.
This Class Includes
Access to group. forum, exclusive offers, schedule time with terri.