Class 1. Handbuilding Stylized Birds
Class Cost: $112.50 (This price reflects a 10% discount off the cost of the Zoom class of $125 because there is no "live" component.)
- 3 Digital downloadable documents
- 23 Instructional videos at approximately 3 hours, 49 minutes
- Class Recording (including Q & A session) at approximately 3 Hours
Skill Level: A basic understanding of ceramics is necessary.
I love everything about birds from their song to their beautiful silhouette. Join me for this creative and informative on-demand class. I demonstrate how to make my stylistic sculpted birds using a combination of the pinch, slab and coil methods. These pre-recorded videos will take you through my process as we explore the look and feel of birds while creating them in clay.
This class includes 23 instructional videos of multiple demonstrations that touch on the various aspects of the handbuilding process, a brief presentation about birds and their movements, thoughts about design and other aspects of creating a sculptural ceramic bird.
Click the orange button below to see the materials and supplies list and other important information regarding the class.
Click/Tap the orange bar below to view details about this class.
What you’ll get in your digital class kit:
- Technique sheet with instructions
- Bird reference sheet
- Wing template
Video and Pre-Recorded Demonstrations Includes:
- Making a texture free slab using a rolling pin and slab roller
- Creating a closed form using equally sized pinch pots
- Paddling the closed form to create different shapes
- Creating a bird head using the pinch and pulling handle method
- Creating slab wings and base using a template
- Options for applying the head, wings and base to the closed form to create a variety of bird movements
- Creating sculptural bird eyes
- Creating soft sculptural lines with a wooden rib
- Relief carving of leather hard birds
What participants need to have for class:
- Clay and corresponding slip to join the clay together
- Needle tool
- Kemper tool K23 or B3 (You’ll use this if you want to make sculptural bird eyes.)
- Scoring tool of your choice (for slipping and scoring)
- Wooden Paddle
- Saran Wrap
- Ribs (A wooden rib is my favorite but plastic and metal work too.)
- Pencil & Paper for notes or drawings for reference
- Photos of birds for reference
- Scissors or X Acto knife to cut out wing pattern
- Spray bottle
- Texture tools or stamps (if you want texture on your pieces)
- Favorite handbuilding tools
- Manilla folder or cover stock to cut out your wing template
What Participants Need To Consider Regarding Clay Choice
*Participants will use their preferred clay.
Think about how you want to finish your birds. This will help you choose the clay you want to use to create your pieces.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you plan to paint it with underglazes? (A no-grog red or white earthenware or porcelain clay may work best as you’ll want a smooth surface to paint on.)
- Will you want to carve it once it reaches the larger hard stage? (Grog may or may not be an issue depending on your carving style.)
- Will you finish it with oxides and translucent glazes to accentuate any textures you press into the piece during construction? (Any clay body should work)
Working with clay is easier with shortly trimmed fingernails.
Class Cost: $112.50 (This price reflects a 10% discount off the cost of the Zoom class of $125 because there is no “live” component.)
Refund Policy: Once you place your order you have instant access to the video content. Therefore there are no refunds available.
Dear Students, Welcome to this on-demand class! I’m thrilled to have you join us on this journey of learning and…
This Class Includes
Access to group. forum, exclusive offers, schedule time with terri.